Thank you for your interest in hosting and supporting refugees from Ukraine and elsewhere.
In April 2022, we ran a webinar on the positives and pitfalls of hosting & supporting refugees. The webinar recording and resources are available below. We hope they will help you make an informed decision on what is feasible for you.
Refugee hosting and support webinar
Hosting refugees: useful information
- A copy of the webinar PowerPoint presentation
- Refugees at Home: extracts from their host checklist
- Meeting action notes & contact details of some key local people
- Personal preparation for guest arrival: a checklist for use with a hosted refugee
- A template house rules guide for use with a hosted refugee
- A template house welcome pack for use with a hosted refugee
Below are some useful links about hosting refugees, some of which were referenced in the seminar:
- The Sanctuary Foundation offer an excellent free online course aimed at hosts & those supporting hosts. The course covers topics ranging from trauma, cross-cultural communication, host wellbeing, and community integration.
- NACCOM’s Hosting Good Practice guide.
- Refugees at Home hosting advice leaflet.
- Vita Training offer training on supporting trauma survivors.
- Coventry City Council’s information for hosts and Ukrainians on welcoming Ukrainian guests to Coventry.
- Ukraine Welcome is a website helping Ukrainians settle into the UK.
- Fresh Start run a project welcoming refugees into Coventry. Their project video introduces what they’re doing and how they’re developing.
- The Warwickshire Welcomes; Ukranian Refugeeshttps://www.facebook.com/groups/337506334853044 support group on Facebook is for host families and their sponsors in Warwickshire.